SILVER JEWELLERY CARE & MAINTENANCE
Our Silver jewelry is cast using .925 silver casting grain.This means that 92.5% of your Quadri silver piece is made of fine silver, while the remaining 7.5% is a careful mixture of alloys that help keep the silver hard so it can best withstand day to day wear.
Because silver is not naturally perfectly bright, we finish all of our silver cast pieces with a special plating called “silvering” or “rhodium”. Like any plating, “silvering” and “rhodium” can wear out over time especially when exposed to certain cleaning products, soaps and chemicals. This breakdown of the plating exposes the sterling silver which may tarnish. Tarnishing is a natural occurrence on sterling silver jewelry, and many find the splotchy grayish tone undesirable.Be sure to remove silver jewelry when cleaning, washing hands, using lotions or hand sanitizes, before showering, swimming and all activities of this nature.
Avoid exposure: Contact with household chemicals, perspiration, rubber, chlorinated water, or any substances which contain sulfur (e.g., mayonnaise, eggs, mustard, onions, latex, wool), will cause corrosion and tarnish — so it’s a good idea to remove silver jewelry when doing household chores. Direct sunlight also causes silver to tarnish, so be sure to take off your silver jewelry before you go swimming and sunbathing.
Lotions, cosmetics, hair spray and hair products, and perfumes are also “enemies” of silver and will accelerate tarnishing. There’s a reason generations of women have been getting dressed with jewelry last, as a finishing touch!
Storage: As exposure to air tarnishes it, storing silver in airtight plastic bags with anti-tarnish strips is a great preventative measure. Just make sure you don’t store multiple jewelry pieces in the same bag: silver is a soft metal, so the individual pieces can scratch each other. Link or chain bracelets should be kept unclasped or unhooked to prevent scratching as well. If you can’t use plastic bags, try to make sure that the storage area has low humidity. You can also place a piece of chalk, a packet of activated charcoal, or a container of silica gel in the storage area to minimize tarnish.
Simply polishing your silver works well when the tarnishing is not too severe. It’s also the best method for cleaning oxidized silver, as you can stay away from the intentionally tarnished areas.
Silver is soft and can become scratched easily. You can use a special silver cloth to polish your items, but a lint-free flannel, microfiber, or other soft nonabrasive cloth will do as well. Do not use paper towels or tissues to polish your jewelry as they contain fibers that can scratch the silver.
When polishing, use long back-and-forth motions that mirror the grain of the silver. Do not rub in circles, as this will magnify any tiny scratches. Also, change to a different section of your cloth frequently to avoid placing tarnish back on the silver. You can use a Q-tip to get into small, detailed areas.
You can also use oxidation products (cloths, licquids, sprays) found on the main online marketplaces. Be careful with silver-plated items, as excessive polishing can remove the plating (depending on the thickness) and leave pieces worse than when they started.
Whilst the information given above is provided in good faith, we do not recommend you do anything unless you are personally certain that no harm will come to your jewellery as a result of cleaning. We do not take any responsibility for damage which ensues from your actions. If in doubt, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
The items sold by Quadri Gioielli are intended for adults. They are intended exclusively for aesthetic / decorative use.The company assumes no responsibility for any damage caused by improper use of the object (abrasions, bruises, suffocation, skin irritations, etc.)
info request: email@example.com